Welcome

Welcome to the JRB art blog! If you are a parent, I hope seeing what we are creating in class will help you discuss your child's artwork with them!
If you are another art teacher, feedback is welcome! Whoever you are, please leave a comment!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Happy Fall and Welcome to ART Cycle 2!

WOW!

I cannot believe that Cycle 1 of art is over, and we are on to Cycle 2! I have officially met every student at Briggs, and have learned about half of the names. I hope to have them all down pat by the end of this cycle.

In addition to finishing up our Square 1 Art self-portraits, we will begin a new lesson focusing on the concept of line. This is Massachusetts Visual Arts Curriculum Framework 2.2, “For line,explore the use of line in 2D and 3D works. Identify a wide variety of types of lines in the environment and in artwork.” Each grade level will explore the concept of line differently. Kindergarten will learn the song “My Lines”, so be sure to have your son or daughter sing it to you! Grade 1 will be going on a “line hunt”. Movement through line will be explored by grade 2. Contour lines will be grade 3’s focus, and both the fourth and fifth grade will review the concept of one-point perspective.

This will also (hopefully) give the classes their first opportunity to discuss their work with their peers. Massachusetts Visual Arts Curriculum Framework 5.3 asks that children be able to discuss the elements of art in their own and others’ work. This will be the first time some students will be doing this kind of activity, so MUCH support will be given to those students who are uncomfortable with the idea.

On a personal note, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to fill in the back of the last newsletter. It gave me wonderful information about the students, and I was thrilled to see so much creativity happening at home! I also want to extend my gratitude to those of you who have taken the time to make me feel welcome in the Briggs community. It is wonderful to leave here everyday with a smile, and look forward to coming back! Thank you for sharing your children with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment